TOPIC OF DAILY FOUNTAIN DAILY DEVOTIONAL FOR 2ND JUNE 2020 “GUARD YOUR CONSECRATION.”
READ: Judges 14:12-20 (NKJV)
- Then Samson said to them, “Let me pose a riddle to you. If you can correctly solve and explain it to me within the seven days of the feast, then I will give you thirty linen garments and thirty changes of clothing.
- “But if you cannot explain [it] to me, then you shall give me thirty linen garments and thirty changes of clothing.” And they said to him, “Pose your riddle, that we may hear it.”
- So he said to them: “Out of the eater came something to eat, And out of the strong came something sweet.” Now for three days they could not explain the riddle.
- But it came to pass on the seventh day that they said to Samson’s wife, “Entice your husband, that he may explain the riddle to us, or else we will burn you and your father’s house with fire. Have you invited us in order to take what is ours? [Is that] not [so?”]
- Then Samson’s wife wept on him, and said, “You only hate me! You do not love me! You have posed a riddle to the sons of my people, but you have not explained [it] to me.” And he said to her, “Look, I have not explained [it] to my father or my mother; so should I explain [it] to you?”
- Now she had wept on him the seven days while their feast lasted. And it happened on the seventh day that he told her, because she pressed him so much. Then she explained the riddle to the sons of her people.
- So the men of the city said to him on the seventh day before the sun went down: “What [is] sweeter than honey? And what [is] stronger than a lion?” And he said to them: “If you had not plowed with my heifer, You would not have solved my riddle!”
- Then the Spirit of the LORD came upon him mightily, and he went down to Ashkelon and killed thirty of their men, took their apparel, and gave the changes [of clothing] to those who had explained the riddle. So his anger was aroused, and he went back up to his father’s house.
- And Samson’s wife was [given] to his companion, who had been his best man.
At the marriage ceremony of Samson and the Philistine woman, there were no Israelites to serve as “friends of the bridegroom” (Matthew 9:15).
So, the parents of the Philistine woman selected thirty Philistine men as Samson’s Committee of Friends at the marriage. Perhaps to impress the thirty men, and give colour to the seven-day occasion, Samson gave a riddle – which was obviously not part of the marriage rites. None could interpret the riddle. The thirty men had to threaten Samson’s bride, then she persuaded him to interpret the riddle. Samson did and the men won the bet. After Samson had redeemed the bet agreement, he abandoned his wife and went home – that was a rash decision.
We should learn to guard our decisions, especially when they concern our life and relationship with God: It is not with every experience that we should hastily take decision. As we grow in the Lord, we should also grow in discipline.
Those who cannot control their tongues and emotions cannot control their bodies as well. In Samson’s case, the consequences of this lack of discipline were disastrous. God’s word and His Spirit, when followed, put a check on our decisions.
PRAYER: Help me, Lord, not to be hasty in taking decisions; save me from rash decisions.
Usage Right: The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, please CLICK HERE to contact us to file a complaint. Please provide proofs of ownership and reasons for actions to be taken in your message
Featured Daily Devotional Open Heavens • Rhapsody of Realities • Daily Manna • MFM Devotional • Joyce Meyer Devotional • Trem Devotional • Winners' Chapel Covenant Hour Of Prayer with Bishop Oyedepo