The Topic of Deeper Life Daily Manna Devotional for 2nd October 2022 Is “A REAL WAR“
Text: Romans 8:1-13
1. There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh;
4. That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5. For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12. Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die; but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
KEY VERSE: Romans 8:13
“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” .
This quote is found in The Adversary, a book by Mark Bubeck, Moody Press: “The flesh is a built-in law of failure, making it impossible for the natural man to please God. It is a compulsive inner force inherited from man’s fall, which expresses itself in general and specific rebellion against God and His righteousness. The only hope of escape from the law of the flesh is total execution and replacement by a new life in the Lord Jesus Christ.”
The word ‘flesh’ was used ten times in today’s passage, while the word ‘Spirit’ appeared twelve times. The carnal mind controlled by the flesh ends in death; but when the control flips over from the flesh to the Spirit, it produces life and peace. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God. But when the Spirit takes control of our lives, He quickens our mortal bodies and we are resurrected into a new life.
When we consider the three main enemies to the new life in Christ – Satan, the world and the flesh – the flesh rates highest and has produced far more casualties in the race to heaven than the temptations from the devil and the world combined. This is because it is an in-built problem that comes with the unregenerate, fallen nature. The works of the flesh manifest in pride, love of pleasure, self-will, carnality, stubbornness, immoral activities, masturbation, fornication, adultery, homosexuality, pornography, etc.
To please God and walk with Him, we must allow the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus to set us free from the law of sin and death. We must be in constant alertness in this war to put our bodies under control. We must completely mortify or destroy the flesh before we can live in the newness and glory of the life to come.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
You either mortify the flesh or it destroys you.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Luke 1 – 2
Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word. Read More...