TOPIC OF DAILY MANNA DEVOTIONAL FOR WEDNESDAY 30TH OCTOBER 2019 IS “REMEDY FOR CONFLICTS.”
TEXT: James 4:1-17
1. From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?
2. Ye lust, and have not; ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain; ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.
3. Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.
4. Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
5. Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?
6. But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
7. Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
8. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
9. Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep; let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.
10. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.
11. Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law; but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.
12. There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy; who art thou that judgest another?
13. Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain;
14. Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.
15. For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that.
16. But now ye rejoice in your boastings; all such rejoicing is evil.
17. Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
KEY VERSE: James 4:8
Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded”
DAILY MANNA DEVOTIONAL FOR TODAY
There are seven situations that form the root cause of conflicts. These are people having opposing agenda; people having something that the other person needs but does not have; when there are personality conflicts between individuals, when there is a significant change in the relationship equilibrium between individuals, when there is betrayal of trust between individuals, when there is thoughtless and irresponsible behavior of an individual and when the needs of certain groups or individuals are not met.
The passage today puts lust at the very center of man’s conflict and wars. This lust leads to all evil works: murder, fight, war, worldliness, pride and enmity with God. Grace is available from God as remedy and the path to obtain and utilise this grace is spelt out for us. There must be humility towards God and a desire for Him as a Refuge. There must also be genuine and heartfelt repentance resulting in clean hands and purified hearts. We must resist the tempter and not judge or speak evil against fellow brethren.
Self, if not dealt with, will continue to be the centre-piece of mans conflicts and problems. Selfish goals lead to lust, envy, fighting and quarrelling. As people get lost in their selfish pursuits, they become opposed to God and man. The word of God likens them to adulterers and adulteresses who, out of the desire to please self, act in defiance to their family and friends. Our lifetime motto must be: Jesus first, others second and yourself last.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Let self die and let peace reign.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Jeremiah 25-27
Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word. Read More...